Bradford Grammar School has existed since the 16th century. In 1662 the school received the Royal Charter of Charles II and was then known as the Free Grammar School
“...for the better teaching, instructing and bringing up of children in grammar and good learning and to continue for that use for ever.”
Bradford Grammar Junior School was originally housed in Thornville, one of a number of detached villas with extensive gardens built on Manningham Lane. In 1974, following the decision by the then new Headmaster of Bradford Grammar School not to live in the Headmaster’s house in the grounds, the decision was made to relocate the Junior School to Clock House, thus enabling all BGS pupils to be together in the same grounds and so providing much easier access to the school’s facilities for the Junior School pupils. From then on Bradford Grammar Junior School also became known as Clock House.
Over the years there have been many physical changes to the buildings resulting in a Junior School which is stylish and spacious and which provides young children with a fusion of traditional and modern buildings that is safe, comfortable and practical.